Friday, June 30, 2006

A Little...... sad

It is strange how I still get a little sad and very bothered by people's comments about refusing referrals based on gender. I really don't understand. Maybe I am just hypersensitive because it feels as if people are rejecting Riley. I am so fiercely protective of my children.

I think it bothers me that some of these same people are adopting from China due to the plight of abandoned children. You see, yes, the majority of the abandoned children are girls. This is a gender issue. The majority of the children are being denied the ability to be raised by their biological family based on gender alone. So... I really don't understand how people adopting can use this same discrimination logic when discussing receiving an unexpected referral for a son.


Okay, okay... I understand... everyone has reasons for the requests they have made. We even requested a daughter last time AND this time. Yup, we have reasons. That being said... we could NEVER deny our child based on gender. Would we need to step back and regroup again? Yes. Would we be shocked beyond compare that it happened again? Yes. Would we have to repaint and redecorate? Yes. Would I mourn the loss of the child I dreamt of? Yes. Would I have to step back and re-evaluate EVERYTHING? Yes.

Would I lovingly accept the child referred to me regardless of gender? Yes. I did this with Riley and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I am sad that people perpetuate discrimination under the guise of righting a wrong. Gender selection goes against everything the United States has worked to equalize over the past century.

I hope people will realize that there are those of us, with unexpected and unrequested sons from China who are hurt by the very strong and opinionated vocalizations of denying a son. It is far too personal to me.

This is probably the reason I have really not bonded with the adoption community. I feel like an outsider because people are very quick to make a black and white statement about something they truly have NO idea how they would handle unless placed in the situation.

I certainly had no idea how I would handle this situation before going through it.

So... I am a little.... sad. I feel a little.... left out. I feel a little..... out of the loop.

I will take that in order to support and defend my son. I guess that is really what I am doing. Defending Yuan Dong Bao... Riley... my surprise, miracle son whom I love with all my heart and more.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Your story since the very beginning of my voyage has made me fiercly protective of the boys too. I read about Riley on the DTC group and your BLOG and think...OK, I'd be surprised BUT delighted to have a sweet boy in my life.

I'd just do a little shopping/returning, a little redecorating and a lot of practicing my baseball throwing arm!

I know that you already know this but don't listen to those people and their nasty comments! I'm totally no email so I can pick and choose what I read. This adoption brings out the best and the worst in folks!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Hi Mary
I will say that I agree with you all the way... I also agree with Julie... don't listen to nasty comments... you have your son and that is all that matters... let all those other ignorant people stick their heads back in the sand. If you 'really' think about it... this is first and foremost about a child... yeah, I will admit that I was one that asked for a girl... but... my husband and I did discuss if the situation arose that we got a boy instead what whe would do... without a 2nd thought we did decided that we would accept him no questions asked... only thing would be that alot of little girls would be getting alot of 'girly/Tinkerbell' gifts from me and we would have to do ALOT of shopping... that is ok... the most important thing is that the child in question gets a loving family to guide them through the rest of the life and to show them all the love a family could do... Forget the gender - think of the child first... Having said my piece... I will get off my soapbox... I also agree with Julie that this whole adoption does bring out the best and worst in people...