Friday, January 19, 2007

Loving being Mom!!

Okay, this may seem blatantly obvious to everyone, but I LOVE BEING A MOM!! It is truly the most fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life. Nothing compares....

This morning Madeline was up first. We enjoyed about 45 minutes of girl time, just the two of us. We ate, played, laughed... just little quiet things. None of this was raucous or loud... just quiet morning play time.

We then went in to wake up James and Riley. They share a bedroom by choice. James sleeps in the top bunk and Riley below. First, I put Madeline up in the bunk with James. She lovingly rubbed his cheek to wake him. He rolled over, opened his eyes and just smiled the sweetest smile. Then he leaned over and gave his sister a gentle good morning kiss. It was just such an honor to witness this exchange between my oldest and youngest.

Next, I put Madeline in bed with Riley. She crawled over to him and patted his head. (He does that same thing to her all the time!) He opened one eye, smiled and said... I love you Maddie. Okay, my heart melted twice in a matter of minutes?? Riley then sat up and wanted me to carry both him and Madeline out of the bedroom. I picked up both of them, ready to head out to the couch to snuggle. James then asks, "Where is my spot?" He was joking, thank goodness, because I don't think I can carry a 14 month old, 5 year old and big 10 year old all at once.

James followed us out to the couch. Then, miraculously, they all found a way to be in my arms for morning snuggles. All three of my babies were huddled in close. It was just so.... perfect.

I worried about how I would handle having three kids. I have to tell you, it is so much better than I ever dreamed it would be. They love each other. They love their parents. We love them. We love each other. It is almost cliche'.

James wrote a poem that really sums it up. In this poem he writes,
"James
Strong, smart, hilarious, kind
Big brother of Riley and Madeline
Lover of video games, laser tag, flag football
Who feels bored at school, happy with family, generous at Christmas
Who gives happiness to family, inspiration to team mates, spiritual at church
Who fears heights, loneliness, snakes
Who would like to see the Great Wall of China, Paris, Australia
Who lives in a warm home with my family and beagle.
James"

Okay... as much as some of that is just so typical of a 10 year boy, to me it spoke volumes. This 10 year old who went from an only child 2 and a half years ago to having two younger siblings through adoption is one remarkable young man. His thoughts of family ran throughout his writing. His love is deep and true. His writing, to me, is very wise and true.

I love being a Mom... but more importantly, I love being a mom to my three children. They make each day so much better.

1 comment:

Xue said...

Awww.what a wonderful morning you had. and they surely sound like the greatest kids ever!