Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Moral Issues

I have to tell you how frustrating it is to write this post. So much has happened in the past week. It is sooooooo, I don't know... sad, upsetting, disappointing.


Last Wednesday a very popular local Weatherman commited suicide. I have met this man several times over the years. The outpouring of emotion from the community over this has been unbelieveable. I know I am probably going to come off as very cold... but.. Okay.. I know this is a tragedy but this man killed himself. To glorify him in such a way that basically sensationalizes his violent act of killing himself, to me, is a sin. To say it is sad.. yes. a tragedy... yes. But the media coverage is just wrong. I just can not see how so much positive attention can be paid to give what seems like positive media attention to this really unsettles me.


On Easter Sunday... yes, EASTER SUNDAY, we were at a family gathering at my sister-in-law's home. Another sister of my husband's stood up to make a toast. She toasted the addition of a new baby in the future... her son and his girlfriend of ten months are expecting!! WHAT???? I think I must have sat there with my mouth wide open. On the holiest day of the year.... a toast was made to this. Not one mention of the importance of the day. I just did not feel like this was appropriate at all. How, how, how can this be the right time and place to announce this. These two have the most unstable life I have seen in quite some time. He is 23 and hopping between odd jobs. She also has a history of changing jobs frequently. They do not have health insurance. They do not have a marriage. (Yes, this is important to me.) They do not have a home of any sort. And... a toast is made on Easter Sunday announcing their pregnancy.

Now.. just when I thought Easter Sunday was as shocking as it could be... the sister-in-law who announced her upcoming grandchild tells me... are you ready..... that she thinks it is wrong that our government gives a tax break to families who adopt from other countries. Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it. Now... I stand firmly behind what I did next. I responded that the money the government gives in the adoption tax credit is far less than the money we pay to raise children who are in foster care, to cover hospital costs for the uninsured and to pay for government programs for people who can not provide for the children they bring into this world.

Was it harsh? Maybe. Am I overly judgemental? Possibly. Do I regret it? NO!

Okay... I will step down now from my soap box... go and embrace my children adopted from other countries who I received tax credits for AND sleep soundly.

4 comments:

Mommy Spice said...

I completely and totally agree with you...100%. I had an assistant principal who commit suicide. On the year anniversary, the principal still wanted to commemerate the day. Ugh. I'm totally with you on the unwed, unstable parents whose babies and lifestyle, we pay for. And the tax issue. How did she even have the gall to say that? Wow. I would have been "high fiving" you for saying what you did.

Julie said...

You go girl!

Michelle said...

I totally agree. Well said about all of it!!

Michelle

Michelle McDonald said...

Wow -- Good for You. Just when I was losing faith in people -- I "stop by" your blog in hopes of new pictures and an uplifting story(Madeline is adorable!!)- and am inspired by your moral outrage!