Thursday, May 10, 2007

How Can It Be?

When I awoke this morning, I knew today was different than any other day. I was still groggy. I didn't hit the snooze. I wasn't sure why... but I knew I had to get up. After rising I remembered.

Today is THE day.
Today is a GREAT day.
Today, Riley has been in my arms for three years.

Wow.... THREE YEARS!

Riley has now been with us longer than he was with anyone else. He has been my baby for as long as I felt him in my heart. He has been in my arms for the most blessed three years of my life.

Before Riley I never realized a little piece of my heart was missing. The picture in my head and the baby in my heart didn't look alike... but my heart knew.

For the past 14 months Riley has been a constant source of amazement. Starting with his referral, our lives were forever transformed into something more than we ever thought possible.


Riley is quirky. He loves to pretend to be a dog named, Poochie. He understands that he must be a trick puppy while in Target and walk on his hind legs. What a hoot!

Riley is loving. Whenever he thinks I am sad or upset he kisses his hand and puts it on my heart. He loves his family completely.

Riley is a great big brother. He loves to help Madeline out of her crib when she wakes up. He carries her away from anything he thinks will hurt her. He gets very upset when she is sad. He gives her hugs and kisses. He tries to do everything Big Brother James is doing.

Riley is smart. He loves books, counting, pretending to read. He tells me that he is Reynolds and I am Ashe Reynolds.

Riley is creative. This little guy can sit for, literally, HOURS at the kitchen table with scissors, paper, crayons, markers, glue, tape, yarn... and make artistic creations.

Riley is Chinese. He tells people he is Chinese. He tells people he was born in Nanning. He tells people he climbed the Great Wall of China. He tells people his sister is also Chinese.

Riley is strong. He rides his bike without training wheels like Evel Knievel down the road. He puts his feet up on the middle bar after he gets the bike to warp speed. He crashes into the grass and laughs.. getting up to ride again.

Riley knows he is adopted. He tells me that James was the baby in my tummy. He shares that he was in his birthmother's tummy in China. He talks about how I told him he had to wait someplace safe, with his foster family, until I could get to China to bring him home. He says he wants to go see his birthmother when we go back to China. Telling him that isn't possible was hard.

Riley is funny. He tells us he "cries his eyeballs out". He loves to dress up in his Spiderman costume with his Darth Vader mask and carry a ball around telling us that he is "DarthSpiderBall". He does a happy dance that resembles MC Hammer back in the day.


Riley was placed in my arms three years ago today. I have been a little weepy today. What a magnificient day. He told anyone who would listen, Happy Gotcha Day! He even told the toll collector on the parkway! He requested Chinese food for dinner. (Give me an excuse to go to P.F. Changs...)

I can't even imagine my life without him. He has added such warmth, happiness and love to all of our lives. Three years seems like such a long time, but truly feels like just yesterday. I honestly have a hard time remembering my life before May 10, 2004.

A Gotcha Day is something special. It is a family day. It is my baby's day. It is today.

I love you BaoBao... my beautiful baby boy.

No comments: