Monday, March 10, 2008

Busy Weekend

We had a weekend filled with great ups and sad downs. It was one of those weekends that will not be soon forgotten. Let's start with some good stuff.

Riley and Madeline went to their friend Ava's second birthday party. The party was at a farm. What a blast! They brushed goats, petted sheep and then things got very different for the two of them. Riley held a baby chick. Madeline cried in fear. Riley looked with wonder at the HUGE potbelly pig. Madeline worried about the mud on her shoes. Riley ran around the coop with the chickens. Madeline pressed herself firmly against the fence unwilling to go in. Riley held a cute white bunny. Madeline climed up in to Mama's arms because she was having no interest in getting close to the bunny at all. Riley followed the geese and ducks around the fence. Madeline ran in fear from the tall birds making noises. Riley rode a horse for the first time. Madeline sat and ate three meatballs. We had an absolute blast!!

Later that night we pulled our fire pit around front to the driveway. There were about 30 of us from our neighboorhood out and about from 6:30 until about midnight. The kids played. The adults talked. It was such a great time. Every time one of these little soires is planned we always have a nice time. We are just very fortunate to have such amazing neighbors.

On Sunday we went to Home Depot and bought a kit for a big playset. It is going to be very cool! Jerry, my dad and our friend Allan got it started. It is going to be a project to assemble, but hours of fun will be had by the Reynolds' children this summer.

Now on to the sad news.... I have a very close friend... she is a sister from college who is struggling. I mean REALLY struggling. She had a bad break-up with her partner of six years a few months ago. Her father has been in and out of the hospital and nursing facilities non-stop the last three months. She has been making the 4 hour car trip every weekend to try to help her mother. She has struggled with depression for several years now. I never really thought about this too much since she has been going to a Dr. for 4 years and they have been trying to figure out the right meds. for her... but she really has had extreme highs and lows. Her highs are higher than I can imagine. Her lows.. are frightful lows. Recently she has been making some really questionable choices in relationships. Last Wednesday she was admitted to the hospital against her will. I didn't find out about it until Friday night. On Saturday after the birthday party I went to visit her. I spent the entire hour available visiting. While sitting there and talking to her... I realized that this is right where she needed to be. We talked. I was very honest with her. She told me some things she had done recently that were...hmmm... just not good. She is struggling. The Dr. has not put her on medicine that is usually used with bipolar patients. I think, if that is her diagnosis, it is probably spot on. She is terrified that this label is going to be placed on her. I think it may be her saving grace. I so want her to just find a nice, quiet normalcy to her life. I want her to find peace without thinking that means her life must be over.

I am not sure how to be the friend she needs right now without being completly honest with her. I won't play games. I won't baby her. I don't think that would be right or fair. She is an intelligent, kind and compassionate person who deserves all the love and honesty I can give her without disrespecting her by being less than honest.

So... that was the gist of my weekend. The good and the bad. The beauty and the beast.

No comments: