Sunday, May 11, 2008

4 Years

Four years ago yesterday Riley was placed in our arms. Where has the time gone??

4 years ago Riley was a frightened little boy. Today he is happy, rambunctious and full of love.

4 years ago Riley was still taking 5 bottles a day and had limited exposure to "real" food. Today he will eat just about anything from spicy salsa to pickles to calamari.

4 years ago Riley was silent. Today he talks our ears off!! He is loud, expressive and quite opinionated.

4 years ago Riley saw us as strangers. Today he came running in my room, threw his arms around me yelling, "Happy Mother's Day!"

Adopting Riley is one of the best things we have ever done. We didn't adopt him to save a child or to make a difference in the world. We adopted Riley because we wanted to add another child to our family to love. Biology was NOT our friend. We were selfish.. so we adopted. Now we know that Riley was always destined by God to be our baby. Many people will not agree with that statement, but we know it to be true.

Through our greatest struggles in life came our greatest blessings. I believe that somehow, some way... the same came true for Riley's birth mother.

Her greatest tragedy is our blessing. It is strange but true.

I think about Riley's birthmother often. I stand before the night sky and talk to her. I thank her for the gift of her son. I firmly believe that she loved him. The way he was left.. the place, the circumstances... tell me that this was an act of love to save her son. I wish her pain did not have to happen. I am grateful for the choice she made... to save her son's life. To bring him to the hospital...

She left a note. She loved him. In a strange way I understand the void left in her heart.. having lost several babies myself.. (yes, in a different way.. but still not easy or forgettable.) If I could have her hear one of the messages I speak to the sky it would be that Bao is happy, healthy, smart and strong. He has a good heart. He is open to love and to be loved. He will always know the love of China and that he WAS left to be found in a safe and loving place.

Riley, Bao Bao... we love you.

Happy 4th Riley Day!!!

No comments: