Wednesday, May 07, 2008

James

James is finishing up his last few weeks in elementary school. I am in awe. Where did the time go? How have we gone from battling infertility, being told we would never have a biological child to this???? Wow!!

James had his last Chorus concert last night. He is training the 4th graders to take over the school news show. He is finishing up his run as a Safety Patrol. We had a 5th grade trip to the middle school yesterday where they were given guided tours of the school by 8th graders. It was surreal seeing my first baby walk through the halls of a school he will soon attend without me there.

I have been very lucky to have had James with me for the past 6 years. Being an elementary school teacher has given me the opportunity to have my kids with me daily once they hit school age. James and I have not been separated for 6 YEARS!! Now, it is time to watch him move on.

When we were over at my parent's home on Sunday, Jerry and I decided to measure James. My parents had been commenting on how he looked taller every time they see him. Well, my baby is 5'4 1/2" at 11 years old!! He is wearing size 16 pants!! This clothing issue is blowing my mind. The next move is into... gulp, the Men's Department!! (I think I need to start breathing into a paper bag!!!) How can that be?? James is one of the tallest kids in school. Actually, I can only think of one other child who may be taller.. and he is a year older than James. What happened to those cute little baby boy outfits with trucks and sports equipment on the shirt?? I am no longer allowed to shop for James without him present since I seem to pick out all of the wrong things. (Ummm... when did my laid back guy get picky??) I truly am unsure how we got to this point!

James will be taking 3 periods of Gifted courses next year as well as Advanced Math. Jerry and I have decided that he did NOT inherit his intellect from either one of us. He has signed up for beginning band. I am dreading the practice time with a new instrument at home. I am thinking this is a good activity to do outside? - at the grandparents? - ummm... someplace, any place but at home???? We aren't sure which instrument he will be playing but I am hoping for something quiet... like.. umm... the triangle???? (Does anyone know how much it costs to sound proof an 11 year olds bedroom?? heh)

I love my big boy so much. He is kind, loving... still a Mama's boy. He is conscientioius, caring and true to his word. I know we have given him the skills he needs to move forward. I know he is ready. I know he will find success and happiness.

I just don't know if I will ever get over my baby growing up. My first miracle is doing just what I always wanted him to do.. and worried about him doing.. he is growing up.

No comments: