Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Books I Have Read in the Past Year

  • Night by Elie Wiesel
  • The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
  • Typical American by Gish Jen
  • Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Man
  • Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
  • One Man's Bible by Gao Xingjian
  • The Lost Daughters of China by Karin Evans

I have to say I have enjoyed each of these books. I think my favorites are The Good Earth and Night. Though I really like the way Gish Jen writes. Typical American was a very different story that had a nice rhythm to the writing. I am currently reading One Man's Bible. Gao Xingjian is the first Chinese recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature. I am on chapter 6, so I have a long way to go. The writing style has taken a little getting used to.

Now, I have many, many other books with my children and students as well. A few of the children's books... not pictures books, I have read this year are:
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape from the London Tower by Elvira Woodruff
  • How Tia' Lola Came to (Visit) Stay by Julia Alvarez
  • Granny Torelli Makes Soup
  • The Million Dollar Kick by Dan Gutman
  • Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry
  • The Power of Un
  • Owen Foote Super Spy by Stephanie Greene

Now, for picture books, since I read these with Riley, it is so different. He loves to have the same books read over and over again. A few of his favorites are:
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
  • Bob's Birthday
  • Blue Goes to the Dentist
  • Firetrucks
  • Shaoey and Dot
  • ANYTHING Elmo

No comments: