Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Is 40 the new 30?

Okay, someone told me that 40 is the new 30. Hmmmm I have to tell you, I am looking at the big 4-0 this week and not thinking anything about when I was 30. Actually, I think the only similarity is that I was pregnant with James at 30 and I am paper pregnant for Madeline at 40.

When I was 30 I was a very different person than I am now. I think that the past decade has changed me not just in years of living but in the living that has been done over the years.

I am lucky. Jerry and I have been in love for over 20 years now. The love we have now, is just so much better. Sure the sweaty hands, nervous stomach stuff at the beginning of a relationship is great... this is so much better. We laugh in such a great way. We still find each other very amusing. We know now just how lucky we are to still be together and happy. I think the total appreciation we have for each other now is special. When you are young and in love you look at a relationship in such a different way. Well, at least I did. I now am just so thankful for the loving relationship I have each and every day. It is such a great time for us.

I am a better parent at 40 than I could have EVER been at 30. I just cherish my children in such a different way. Maybe it is actually putting some years between me and fertility junk that has made the difference. I was just so uptight and worried at 30. Now, I actually enjoy the quirkiness of life so much more. I can laugh or at least get past things so much faster. I just don't let the little stuff with my children drive me nuts. I find myself turning my head so they won't see me smiling when they do something wrong, so much more. Anger is just not part of the equation right now.

Sure the little nonsense of life frustrates me. I get sad. I worry. I get mad. I get to the end of my rope, so to speak. But.. man... I am just so glad to be in this place in life. I really have no interest in going back at all. 40 is a great age... well aside from the smarty pants 9 year old who thinks he is very funny calling my Grandma. Heck... I love every minute of it.

I don't want a new 30. 40 works for me. Now... on Friday, I may feel differently when the reality of a new decade sets in a little... but in everyday living stuff... 40 is fabulous!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Happy B/Day, Mary!
Life does begin at 40!

xo,
Toby