Monday, June 18, 2007

Big Weekend

Wow! This was a HUGE weekend! It was full of so much love, kindness and caring. You don't get one like this very often.

On Friday I decided to get in touch with my feminine side. This is a big deal for me since I have really neglected myself since bringing Riley home. His needs were just so much greater than my own that I just stopped. So... I decided to get my nails done. Now, that may not seem like much to you...but to me it was HUGE! It is a step in the right direction to treating myself better. I HAVE to do better. My kids need me to do better... and taking this tiny babystep was a start. Heck! I even made a hair appointment. I have not had my hair cut since December! I have dedicated all of my energies to my kids, husband, family and then work. I didn't even add into the equation!

On Saturday Jerry and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary. Whew! How can that be?? We have been together for 21 years and married, now, for 17. Those just seem like such big numbers to me. I thank God each and every day for finding the perfect match for me. I am not an easy woman to get along with... but Jerry.... brings out the absolute best in me. We went out for dinner Saturday night. My parents... broken shoulder and all, watched the kids. This is the first time Jerry and I have gone out alone since Madeline has been home. My father was one busy Grampy! It seems that Madeline blessed him with a poopy diaper. Riley decided he needed help in the bathroom twice! I think that is more bottoms wiped in one night than in the entire time my sisters and I were little!! He was a trooper. With my mother very limited in her activities right now, it was so wonderful of them to watch the kids for a few hours. They even offered to watch them again soon so Jerry and I can go out more often. They are such amazing grandparents... and parents. We are fortunate they want to spend time with the kids.. and not just be passing influences in their lives. They love all of their grandchildren completely.

Jerry and I LOVED the time alone at dinner. We sat and talked, laughed, cried... for all of our good fortune over the years. It was strange to not have to cut anyone's food, make a bathroom run during the meal or be climbed on. I felt strangely light. Jerry and I have not had the opportunity to just sit and talk like that in ages. After dinner we went for a long walk before picking up the kids. This was a much needed night out. It was perfect.

On Sunday we celebrated Father's Day. Jerry asked us all to accompany him to his mecca...aka Home Depot. He wanted to have us all with him. Okay.. not my idea of fun... but he liked it! We invited my parents over for dinner... steaks on the grill. We enjoyed a few hours of sitting and talking and watching the kids play with my parents. It was kind of nice to be able to give back to them after they watched the kids the night before. Jerry spent a few hours working on his new passion... the new golf cart. Oh my goodness... he loves that thing! He tells me he is in the accessorizing stage. Heck! I didn't think he even knew the word accessorizing!! haha After working on the golf cart he loaded the boys up and took them to the pool. The three boys swam for a good hour or so. I put Madeline down to bed and enjoyed a few minutes of solitude. With three kids that doesn't happen often.

It really was a great weekend.

This week should be a busy one. I am trying to keep everyone busy, active and happy this summer. Madeline continues her immunizations tomorrow... so nothing else has been planned. We are going to friend's home for swimming later in the week. We will hit the library on Thursday. I will register Riley for Kindergarten this week, too. Add in karate and gymnastics, trips to the pool and you have a full, fun, Summer week.


No comments: