Monday, June 11, 2007

My Mom

My parents have spent the past 8 months planning the trip of a lifetime. On May 26th they flew to Paris, France. They spent 5 days sightseeing and touring... taking in all of the sites and sounds... and smells and tastes. They loved every minute! The beginning of this month long journey was off to a fantastic start.

After Paris my parents headed to Amsterdam. They never thought they would ever have the chance to visit there. They walked everywhere! They sent emails and postcards detailing all of their adventures. The went to the Anne Frank house. Wow Dreams really do come true.

On June 2nd they boarded a Rhine River cruise. They sent video messages from Heineken and the Van Gogh museum. They loved the ship they were on. On June 4th the ship stopped for the day in Cologne, Germany. My parents went into the city to spend the day taking in all that Cologne has to offer. At about 11am... my mother fell. She didn't just trip... she fell hard. She lost her footing on the cobblestone path she was walking on up to a church. She landed on her left shoulder.

My father knew instantly that she was hurt. He helped her up the best he could, by pulling on her right arm. He finally got her to her feet. She was white as a ghost. She was hurt and crying. They returned immediately to the ship.

After having the ship doctor take a look at her, my mother was sent to the local hospital in Cologne. She saw two orthopedic doctors, who took two sets of x-rays. My mother broke her shoulder in two places AND the doctors believed she had completely torn her ligaments free.

Later that evening my phone in Florida rang. The number on caller ID said unavailable. I usually don't answer any calls that don't identify themselves... but this time I did. It was my mother. (She had to make the call since my father is deaf and can't use the phone.) My parents were on their way home. They were in a hotel in Cologne. The hotel had allowed them to call home for free. The ship had fed them and helped them pack. The travel insurance... which thank GOD they had, made the flight arrangements home.

On June 6th at 6pm I picked my parents up from the airport. My poor mother was so sad. She felt she had ruined their trip. They didn't get to finish the Rhine cruise or spend 10 days in Ireland... or go to Zurich or Lucerne. She was hurt and had to come home. My mother flew first class... and my father coach. The travel insurance would not put them together. My father had to go to my mother whenever she needed to use the restroom, open something, cut her food... fasten her seatbelt. He was the supreme helper!! I stayed with them well into the night, cancelling reservations they had made throughout Europe... cancelling EuroPasses, car rentals, hotel rooms... you name it. My mother needed it done immediately so she could go into all of her medical concerns the next day with a clear head.

On June 7th my mother met with the orthopedic PA here. Today she goes for a CAT scan. Tomorrow she meets with the surgeon. We will find out tomorrow when they will operate... and how many operations she will need. The doctors are thinking she will need a screw of some sort in her shoulder, a torn rotator cusp repaired and ligament damage repaired. She is looking at months of recuperation time.

The silver lining is... they will be able to go back to Europe. The travel insurance will cover the cost of the cruise, airfare and hotels to go back. My heart breaks for my parents... to have to go through this at all. My mother has NEVER had surgery before and to start now is not going to be easy. I am SO thankful that it is summer break here and I am off of work. I can make phone calls, run errands and distract them with their precious grandbabies. I am so thankful I live close and can help. I am so thankful it was "just" her shoulder hurt and not something more serious like her head!

Keep strong, Mom!!! You WILL get back to Europe. You WILL buy Irish lace curtains. You WILL see the world with Dad just like you always dreamed.


1 comment:

Mommy Spice said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so glad she's ok though. I felt a bit of panic while reading, hoping it didnt' get any worse. My prayers are with your family.