Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ups and Downs

Life in our casa has been crazy. Riley is on the mend, feeling strong and more energetic every day. It is so good to see him emerge from this in such a happy way. Madeline made the move to the big girl bed and has had dry panties for days. (Except that lovely little accident yesterday which was not pee. Umm.. gross. James has a sore neck from football. He has been incredibly helpful this past week.

Last week my uncle... my dad's brother, was not feeling well. He just couldn't shake feeling sick. My aunt took him to the doctor. He was immediately transferred to the hospital. (A little background... my aunt and uncle live near us. I actually lived with them for a year in college. They have been a constant support system for me over the years. I love them.) Well, my uncle's platelet count was way off. He also was diagnosed with MRSA. This is one nasty virus. Over the next few days he just wasn't rebounding. The super antibiotics weren't working. Three days ago my uncle lost consciousness. That same day the doctors said he also has Leukemia. They weren't able to diagnose which form of leukemia immediately since they were dealing with the virus, too. Two days ago my uncle was put on a respirator. Yesterday his body temperature sky rocketed to 103. Even while packed in ice it only went down to 102.7. Today he had a massive brain bleed. The doctors told us that the form of leukemia he has is generally fatal within 4 months of onset. They believe he has had it for a few months already. He was put on life support.

My cousins who are out of town are making arrangements to get here. After they are all here my uncle will be removed from life support after they say their goodbyes. My father will lose a sibling for the first time. He is trying to be brave, tough, Mr. Strong... but I know this is just so hard on him.

I have explained to the boys what is happening. James will be a great support for his cousin who is losing her grandfather since he has lost a grandparent, too. He understands.

The services will be next week. I need to do everything possible to help my family through this difficult time. I know we are all keenly aware that my uncle will be without pain and in the arms of God... but we still mourn.


Life has unbelievable ups and downs, twists and turns.

2 comments:

Jennilu said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I am so sorry!

Love you!
Jenni

Mommy of two said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, God Bless.