Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Mama at Midnight

Okay.... Riley is certainly his own little fellow. At midnight I was sound asleep, cuddled up in my warm bed. Unexpectedly, a little finger began to poke my arm. I hear the faint whisper, "Mama" wake me from my slumber. I knew it had to be Riley. I rolled over, opened my eyes and before me stood...... a completely naked 3 year old holding his pillowcase. Yes, Riley had been in his bed, undressing himself, and taking all of his sheets and pillowcase off of his bed. As cute as he is, he was not so cute at that point. ;-)

Being the loving mother I am, I walked him back to his room. I proceeded to feel around in the dark for Riley's Pull-Up and pajamas. Now, we do live in Florida and by no means need heavy duty night clothes, but it was in the low 50s and Riley doesn't stay covered. Finally, I found all of his encoutreauments (sp) and dressed my sleepy boy. Next, I had to put the wandering pillowcase back on to Riley's pillow. I grabbed the pillow and case, sat down on James' bed and began the bouncing act otherwise known as... dressing the pillow. In my half awake, half asleep state, I completely forgot that big brother James was fast asleep on his now bouncing bed. I did not realize what a lovely bumpy ride I gave him until I had completed the pillowcase adventure. Thank goodness, James is a very deep sleeper.

After completing all of my motherly obligations, I tucked my little wide awake darling in to bed. I bent down and gave him the obligatory kiss and reminder that it was time to sleep. More awake now and rather perturbed I began walking back to my own room. Upon reaching Riley's door I hear another "Mama". I turned around to find my baby, reaching for me, lips puckered. He then whispers, "kish Mama". (Yes, kish... that is how Riley says kiss.) All frustrations instantly disappeared. I smiled with teary eyes, walked happily back to my tucked in bundle and received the best kiss of my life.

Riley is MY baby. He is MY son. I love him more than I realize at times.

After all of this ordeal I returned to my bed, very glad to have been woken out of my slumber. I laid in my bed, smiling and crying at the wonder and beauty that one little boy can bring. I am such a lucky mom.

No comments: