Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Best Sound in the World

Well, anyone who knows us well knows that Riley has some speech issues. When he was abandoned, his way of dealing was to completely refuse to talk. He didn't speak at all for the 11 months he was in foster care. So.... getting him home and talking has been such a huge deal. His poor little mouth muscles were so weak! He could not suck a drink up threw a straw!

He has made tremendous progress and is now talking ALOT! It is not easy for "strangers" to understand his speech but it is steadily improving.

That being said...

at nap time on Monday I put Riley to bed with his little play cell phone. It plays songs, beeps, rings and... here is the neat part, records. I recorded my voice saying "I love you, Riley" He pushes that button ALL the time. So, when he first laid down for his nap I hovered by the door listening to him. I could hear him talking... so, I wanted to listen. (Okay, you can call me a snoopy mom if you want.) Well, Riley was pushing the button to hear my voice and he would then say... "I Wuv You Mama" He would push the button again and hear me say "I love you, Riley" and then he would say, "I Wuv You Mama" Boy.. I was then in tears! That is probably the best feeling in the world. No one was telling him to say anything.. trying to get him to speak. He was just saying he loved me.

Since Monday Riley has been coming up to me several times a day to tell me he loves me. His nap time practice must have added to his confidence. Today he told Nana (my mother) he loved her. He also told James, Daddy and his cousin Carolyn.

He is a so absolutely right for me.

No comments: