Sunday, August 12, 2007

Girl's Night Out!

Oh yes! Last night was Girl's Night Out! A group of us from the neighborhood decided to have our own night out. Now, we have done things before... like meeting at one person's home to play pictionary or have... ummm... beverages. BUT.. this was our first official night out.

We all met at A's home. We hopped in her SUV and were off to Wasabi. Wasabi is a Japanese steak house. I can describe my meal in one word. YUM! We had so much fun sitting around the table laughing and talking while the guy cooking threw things around the room. We knew it was all his schtick for the job, but it was somewhat freeing knowing food was getting tossed around the room and none of us had to pick it up! I tried to get everyone to use chopsticks. Only two of us made through the entire meal using them. The rice was the deal breaker for the others. We spent about 2 hours sitting around that table chatting away.

After dinner we headed off to one of those pottery places where you pick a piece and paint away. I have to pause here for a confession:

I am artistically challenged. I can barely draw a stick figure without someone
thinking it is a tree. So, decorating a platter with my handiwork... a little
intimidating.

I picked out a rectangular serving tray... about 15" x 6". Then it hit me! I remembered seeing a piece in my sorority "magazine" about "Things We Love". They showed a plate decorated with roses and such. It was cute. Now... I had my vision, but still no artistic talent. Lo and behold, I found a stamp for a rose! (This is where you would hear the heavenly music playing and the bright light would be illuminating the pottery saving stamper, guiding me down the path to pottery bliss.)

Well, wouldn't you know, I think I am going to like what I made. Heck! I even thought about going back and making one for my best friend, and pledge sister, K. Now, I absolutely drew nothing of my own on said platter. I didn't even write a single word. I just painted the colors on that stamper and stamped away. I was sitting there thinking... Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello and Rafael have nothing on me. (and NO I don't mean the TMNT gang!) I felt like a bonfide artist creating a masterpiece. Voila!! I am woman hear me roar! I can stamp an image onto a platter!! Wooohooo!

We had a blast. We laughed and talked, critiqued and praised. What a great time with friends.

Who knows what the finished, fired, products will look like. Honestly, I don't really care. It was just such a great time. There is something about spending time with friends that just makes all of the things that drive you nuts all day vanish away for a few hours. This was just what the doctor ordered. It gave me a little mental vacation from all of my "worries".

I can't wait until we do it again.

1 comment:

B-squared said...

Sounds like fun (which you definitely deserve for having to head back to work already!). I'll be looking for a pic of your finished masterpiece here soon! :-)