Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Dinner

Well, the countdown has begun to Christmas dinner. I am cooking for my parents, Moe and Nick and the 5 of us. To some of you this would be an intimate dinner. To me, this is HUGE! I am not a cook. Let me put this into perspective for you. My children think I have cooked a gourmet meal if I didn't use the microwave. (Remember that Mac & Cheese is not a microwave meal.) I have to come up with something to cook that will not kill my family.

Now, I am thinking some roast thingy will do, though I have no clue what or how to cook it. Is it acceptable to microwave veggies for Christmas dinner???? I am so out of my league. If you read my last post I mentioned cooking a big dinner two years ago. You see, I bought a ham. (They are precooked.. you just heat and serve.) I really want this meal to be edible. I am not asking for the moon here, just something that won't cost any of my family hospital co-pays. Is that too much to ask?

Now, the main course has me worried... but considering I really don't eat dessert type foods at all, that is also a problem. Can I serve frozen pies from the grocery store that I cook? Flour and I normally do NOT get along. So, really, baking a pie... not a chance in Hades. Do slice and bake Christmas sugar cookies count as a dessert?

You may think I am joking.. but ohhh noooooo I am far from joking. I am truly in waaaayyyy over my head on this whole dinner thing.

Any suggestions or if anyone is a chef who would like to cook for me and allow me to take full and complete credit, please leave a comment!

2 comments:

Mommy of two said...

Hi, I saw your blog on In Circle..... for a dinner idea, have you seen the Jenny O turkey in a bag? This is super easy (I have no idea how to make a turkey with out it!) You just read the dirctions. The turkey stays in the inside bag. You poke a few holes in it, but it in a pan (we get the ones you can toss after you are done), you bake at 350 degrees until the little red thingy pops up! Very easy, they give you times to help you plan when to put it in the oven.

And yes, the frozen but baked at your house pies count, I say go for it!

Good luck!

Roses,
Shari Kagan

Jennilu said...

Hey, girly. I saw your post and understand the pressure you are feeling. Whether you are a good cook or a beginner, you always want your company to enjoy all of the meals they are served in your home (it must be a southern thing. My suggestion would be a Honey Baked Ham, some mashed potatoes, green beans (microwave steam bags are great - just add some butter, salt and pepper afterward), a salad and some rolls from a tube. As for the dessert, go to the Danish Bakery and get something sinful ;)

I hope this helped. Let me know!