Saturday, March 01, 2008

Jenni's Grandparents

My friend, Jenni, wrote a post on her blog about her grandmother, Mamaw. I have to tell you, it brought back a flood of wonderful memories.

Jenni and I met back in 1988, I think. We were in college together. We got to know each other and became great friends. During this time Jenni's grandparents were a very present part of her life at home. Because of that, I was lucky enough to be able to get to know them, too.

Jenni's grandfather, Papaw, was a very unique man. He was sweet and kind... but you could tell he had always worked hard in his life. He would talk about growing crops, his home in TN and the rough years. He was friendly and always had an innocent hospitality about him. I will never forget Jenni telling me about Papaw being hit by the car. Her family was having a yard/garage sale, I think. Papaw had gone out to the main road to put a sign up or down. (Heck, this has been 20 years, I am trying to put the pieces back together here.) Papaw was hit by a car. Now, this man was tough as nails. He survived and lived for many more years sharing his wisdom and memories.

Jenni's grandmother, Mamaw, was a cute little spit fire. She loved her family fiercely. She had the sweetest voice. I used to love seeing Mamaw. She greeted me like family. She welcomed me with a feeling of love and acceptance. It always felt like an honor to be in Mamaw's presence. I think one of the memories of Mamaw that will always bring a smile to my face was after Mamaw had lost her eyesight. I remember walking into Jenni's parent's home in Lake Wales. Mamaw was sitting at the table. I walked over to greet her with a hug. Mamaw took my hands in hers and said ... in her southern drawl... "Now, Mary, I can't see very well anymore but I sure am glad you are here." She was so wonderful. Mamaw made me feel like she cared for me as much as she did for her family. She just had that way about her.

Reading Jenni's post about Mamaw has opened up a few conversations between Jerry and I about our memories of Mamaw and Papaw. They were just good people, who cared about others and treated us with acceptance, kindness and love. We miss them.

2 comments:

Jennilu said...

I am so happy that others got to share in the love of my grandparents. They were two people that didn't meet many people they didn't like, but if you were one of them they made no secret about it. I know that Mamaw and Papaw loved you and Jerry and the friendship that we shared. Everytime I would go home, even in later years, Mamaw would always ask about you guys. Thank you for the nice post about them. I will make sure Kaylea gets to read it. Hopefully, all of our stories will help her to know the kind of people her great-grandparents were.

I love you guys!!!!!

BobnMissy said...

Of course I had her in my life, well, all of it, and loved her so much. But, after we moved to Florida, Eddie and I spent much more time with her than I really had before, espec. as an adult. Something that was of the funny about Mamaw and the whole "I don't see so well" thing, she said that to you every time she saw you, no kidding, every time. Finally one day I was feeling snappish and said to her "really? You don't? Is that something new that just happened?" She promptly called me a smart-a** and told me even blind she could still spank me. Yep, threatened with a whoopin' by a 4'10" tall blind woman. I come from a long line of spunky, no-nonsense women, and I am proud to be a member of that tribe. Glad you both got to share the love that was Earl and Iva... I miss them both every day, just like Nina and Kermit. They were a treasure whose value I never realized until they were gone.

Oh, and, Papaw and the Car... I was the one who found him in the road. Don't mind saying that was scary. But nothing kept him down for long. And, you can believe that the crotchety old rascal was trying to hook me up with his male nurse when I went to the hospital to visit him. Oh, and talking the ears off everybody who walked into his room.